Previously known as Libdemchild

Tuesday 20 November 2012

Do NOT Practice Christian Gender Discrimination On My Behalf

I joined the Church of England at age of 4. That was 9 years ago. My earliest memory is of colouring in pictures of Jesus in Sunday school and joining the children's parade at the end of the Sunday service where every child would bang his/her tambourine as loudly as possible. Now, I help out at services as an MC.
I love going to church and being a Christian is a big part of my life but something weird is happening.

My beloved church is voting on whether to allow women to become Bishops! What is even worse is that this debate has been going on for so much of my childhood so far. So many things about this make me angry.

Women face an uphill struggle already in this world of rising gender inequality. Girls? Well, the further down the age ladder you go the discrimination seems to get uglier. As a Christian girl, i would hope to be able to draw moral strength and courage from my church. Oh No, say the pious Christian right. Gender equality is alright for the 'outside' world but not within the walls of the CoE. In fact, they even disagree that it is to do with gender equality. Well, what is the 'headship' argument about then?

The CoE has been devalued of its' true mission, i think, which should have been about stewardship of the poor and vulnerable, climate change theology and educating young Christians. Can General Synod please vote for women today, join the 'outside' world and give young Christians like myself a true Christian message and vision of inclusion? Do not use my gender to exclude me. 
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Well spoken, Maelo. And tho the vote this week went terribly wrong, do not give up. God will have God's way and gender discrimination will have to end. When I was your age I was not allowed even to be an acolyte because I'm a girl. Now I'm a priest in the Episcopal Church in the U.S. and in the Episcopal Church here women can be bishops as well. It does not stop people from being silly about gender roles but here we are anyway. So keep the faith, Maelo. And God bless and keep you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame that your church has shrunk faster than the polar ice caps and that you're about where you were when Coolidge was President numberswise; remind me again-you're at, what, 5% non-White membership after preaching "Celebrate our diversity" for over 30 years?

      Delete
  2. I love the self-righteousness of the LibDems; good to know that the vapid, simpering primness of the Nonconformist conscience is also in the Church of England. Nothing like being told about politics from someone too young to work at McD's.
    You must be, what, one-fourth of the Church of England's Youth membership?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lois,
    Thank you for being so kind.I find it shocking that weren't allowed to be an acolyte just because of your gender! But I am even sadder that even now the argument for women in church is still going on!I am so happy that you are a priest and that women all over the world care about this issue!
    Love
    Maelo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turnip Ghost,
    You are either a member of the far right end republican party and/or mad. You confuse compassion with self righteousness but that is not a surprise given the amount of time you can afford to spend attacking Christians.
    Maelo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, neither.
      But thanks for taking an interest. And enjoy your church's trip further downwards into irrelevancy; hope you're at least getting into a state-funded Church of England school for all your trouble pretending to listen to people who aren't there.

      Delete
  5. Dear Maelo: To add to what Lois says, bear in mind that the Episcopal Church in the U.S. has as its leader a capable, loving and powerful woman. It does take a long time to effect change -- see the new film "Lincoln" to show how intractable, seemingly, the issue of slavery was in the U.S. Women's right to the vote was another drawn-out battle. But to persevere in doing right has no time limit.
    As a retired newspaper editor I can say your writing is marvelous, and I hope you continue with every success. Please do not let detractors deter you from it or from your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kevin,
    Thank you very much for your encouraging comments. I know exactly what you mean but sometimes it is hard to watch the wheels of justice turn very slowly. Which newspaper did you edit?
    From
    Maelo

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig